The Mentor position on Hack Forums is one of the most notable positions on the forum, with members moderating the different sections of the forum. They are given a special userbar and abilities which other members do not have. They are a separate group from Staff and Administrators, however, most staff seem to be former Mentors.
To be added to the Mentor user group, the member must be chosen by Omniscient, with an unknown recruitment process and requirements.
All staff are honorary members of this group, as well as other members who remain helpful and steadfast on the website.
The idea of the Mentor user group was conceived by Omniscient on May 6th, 2010. Using feedback from the community on the thread entitled Mentor Group, Omniscient decided to take on the project and implement it as a part of Hack Forums. The group was officially founded on January 11th, 2011.
On October 20th, 2017, Omniscient deleted the Mentors user group due to permission issues that were caused by the migration from MyBB version 1.6 to 1.8.
The thread Mentors Return was an official statement from Omniscient that he was bringing back the group. It was officially reinstated on January 14th, 2018 with xadamxk being the first member added back to the group.
Areas of Moderation
- Rules, Announcements, News and Feedback
- Suggestions and Ideas
- HF News
- Wiki Talk
- The Lounge
- Sports World
- Tinychat, Join.me, Skype and Other Chat Invites
- Personal Life
- Education Nation
- Pet Peeve
- Health Wise
- Bragging Rights
- Member Contests
- Science, Religion, Philosophy, and Politics
- Beginner Hacking
- Worms, Malware, and Viruses
- Private Investigation Methods and Anonymity
- Website and Forum Hacking
- SQL Injection Attacks
- Requests for Hacking
- Hacking Tutorials
- Premium Hacking Tutorials
- Free E-book Hacking Tutorials
- Video Tutorials
- Smartphone, Mobiles, Apps, and SDK
- Android Operating System
- Android Development
- iOS and iDevices
- Android Operating System
- Wi-Fi, WPA, WEP, Bluetooth, 4G, and LTE Wireless Hacking
- Minecraft Server Management
- Graphic Resources
- Graphic Battles
- GFX Contests
- Free Services and Giveaways
- Monetizing Techniques
- Crypto Currency
- Free Money Making E-books
- Survey Says
- CPA / PPD Make Money
- Shopping Deals
- Investment Strategies and Markets
Abilities of Mentors
- All L33t & Ub3r features;
- Ability to give 10 reputations per day;
- Can give +/- 5 reputation
- The ability to Junk threads in their moderated sections;
- The ability to Junk Split (Delete posts) in their moderated sections;
- The ability to Close threads in their moderated sections;
- Can disregard the minimum 25-character requirement for posts in moderated sections;
- Access to the Mentor Sub-forum; and
- Special Userbar
Becoming a Mentor
There is currently only one guaranteed method on becoming a mentor, which is stepping down from a Staff or Admin position. The privilege of Mentorship is earned, and appointed by Omniscient. The status of being a mentor cannot be purchased.
Aside from that, Omniscient has stated the following about the Mentor group:
The group continues to aid Omniscient and the Staff team in moderating the forums.